WHAT TO DO AFTER A STORM
As your Trusted Choice agent, we want you to know that we are here for you in the wake of Hurricane Irma. Knowing how to react after a storm has passed is fundamental to helping you to protect your property and keep you and your loved ones safe and secure. Here are some vital tips on what to do after the storm:
- Listen to local officials for updates and instructions.
- Check-in with family and friends by texting or using social media.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
- Watch out for debris and downed power lines.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of fast-moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Avoid flood water as it may be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines. It may also hide dangerous debris of places where the ground is washed away.
- Photograph the damage to your property in order to assist in filing an insurance claim.
- Do what you can to prevent further damage to your property, (ie: putting a tarp on a damaged roof), as insurance may not coverage additional damage that occurs after the storm. We have a few clients that may be able to offer tips of advice should you not be able to get in touch with your own contractor.
This information and more can be found at https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
We hope you are safe and urge you to contact us with any questions or concerns.
To report a claim, please give us a call at 908-454-4170. You may also visit the “submit a claim” section of our website.